Ontario’s controversial rent control is about to come to an end – and that’s a positive change!
When I was attending a speaking session with one of my favourite economists – Benjamin Tal – a few weeks back, he had a great quote: “There’s a Swedish economist who said, ‘Rent control is the best way to destroy a city, maybe besides bombing it.’”
Isn’t that the truth?!
In the GTA, rental units are scarce. And, says Tal, rent control would only further diminish the already depleted supply of available units.
Continue reading “The End of Rent Control? Bring it on!”
Rental vacancies are ridiculously low and demand for rental units is high… and growing!
That’s just a sampling of the opportunistic real estate investment news Ted Tsiakopoulos, CMHC’s Regional Economist for Ontario, shared recently at the Canadian Mortgage Brokers’ Association (CMBA) of Ontario annual conference.
Here are other main takeaways:
- Strong 2017 economy helped ease imbalances
- Sales and new home starts expected to slow
- Prices to grow moderately
- Eastern & Western Ontario will outperform Southern Ontario
- Mortgage delinquencies remain at record lows – much lower than credit card or car loan debt
Continue reading “Ontario Housing Market: Increased Opportunity for Investors!”